The Rise of Air Conditioning Apps: A Smarter Way to Stay Cool
Smartphone apps are the way of the future and have certainly swamped almost every industry in every sector. Want an app for messaging friends? You got it. Want an app for slicing fruits with a ninja sword? You got it! It’s evident some apps are more useful than others. This brings us to apps for controlling air conditioners. They’re definitely useful and are clearly more logical than clunky yet somehow elusive remote controls. But, with a plethora of apps that seem to do the same thing, how do you know which is best? With over 22 years of experience installing air conditioning units throughout Brisbane and the Gold Coast, here at Smarter Air & Electrical, we’re fairly confident in our judgment of air conditioning apps. We provide a range of services that are sure to meet your every need, including the installation of MyAir (Spoiler alert! It’s one of the best apps). In this article, we discuss why a jump to smartphone apps is the right call, briefly detail the difference between ducted and split systems and list the best smartphone apps for controlling air conditioners.
Why jump to smartphone apps?
When identifying the best smartphone apps for controlling air conditioners, it’s usually helpful to explore the reason for swapping to a mobile app. To do that, all you have to do is look at previous remote controls. You’ve probably looked at a button and thought: “What the hell does this do?”. What’s worse is that you click on it and nothing seems to happen. The beauty of smartphone apps is that they can explain what each button does. You don’t have to play a game of Pictionary just to turn the temperature down. Besides clarity of functions, having a separate remote just for your AC unit is rather unnecessary. Smartphones are becoming increasingly capable of managing electronics remotely, from televisions and speakers to air conditioning units and even garage doors. The reality is that most people know exactly where their smartphone is at all times of the day. By using a smartphone app, you can instantly manage your AC system from your pocket. Gone are the days of turning your living room upside down trying to find the elusive remote. Using an AC remote app is simply the best and easiest solution to managing your AC system.
Difference between ducted and split air conditioners
Before exploring the various AC remote control apps, it can be helpful to know that some are for ducted systems while others are for split systems. If you’re not sure which one you have, don’t worry! Below, you can find a simple explanation of each system:
A ducted air conditioner is a system where the unit that actually regulates the air temperature is in the roof space or neatly positioned outside the house. Regulated air flows through a duct system in the roof space that channels air through vents positioned throughout the house. The vents are typically the only visible parts of the AC system. You usually control the ducted air conditioner through a central control panel.
You might be more familiar with split air conditioning systems. This is where the condenser sits outside the house and connects to an AC head unit, usually mounted to a wall. It’s often a big white rectangular box with air flowing out of it. It’s hard to miss! You typically control this air conditioning system with a clunky remote control.
Best smartphone apps for controlling air conditioners
When it comes to the best smartphone apps for controlling air conditioners, it’s hard to look past MyAir and Ambi Climate. If you have a ducted AC system, we recommend the MyAir app. If you use a split AC system, then the Ambi Climate app may be the best solution for you. Below, you can explore details about each AC remote app:
MyAir (sometimes known as MyAir5 or MyPlace) is a smart air conditioning system developed by Advantage Air. It can be a separate system or it can integrate with MyPlace. MyAir has some exceptional features to automate and digitalise almost every aspect of your ducted air conditioning system. When you install MyAir, you typically receive a central touch screen control panel where you can manually adjust and tweak your AC functionality. Along with the control panel, you can download the MyPlace application onto your smartphone. Within this application is the MyAir integration, allowing you to customise your AC experience remotely. If you’re wondering what MyPlace is, it’s a smart-home product that provides complete control and customisation of not only your AC system but almost every piece of technology in your house. From lights and fans to garage doors and water fountains, you can control everything from your smartphone.
Below, you can explore the primary features to experience as a user of the MyAir application:
- Remote control: Arguably, the best feature of the MyAir app is that you can control every aspect of your AC system no matter where you are. Whether you’re catching the bus, at the movies or walking in the park, you can monitor and optimise the temperature in your home.
- Customise zones: Using the MyAir app, you can customise and control each zone in your house. This means you can set specific operating times, temperatures and airflow options for individual zones.
- Accurate temperature control: Thanks to Advanced Air’s Exact Air Regulator (EAR), you can adjust each zone’s airflow with incredible accuracy. The advanced EAR system allows you to change zone airflow in increments of 5%, leading to a perfect and personalised temperature.
- Automated features: An outstanding feature you can access through the MyAir app is the ability to automate your AC system. No matter where you are, you can set times for your AC system to kick in. You no longer have to return to a cold and dark home after a long shift at work.
- Information display: The MyAir app provides a dashboard that details varying information regarding your AC system. You can see the temperature in each zone, the airflow percentage and even the weather outside.
- Integration with other smart devices: The MyAir app can integrate with other smart devices in your home. This means you can control your lights, fans, garage doors and more from the one app.
If you have a split AC system, look no further than Ambi Climate. You can choose between two neat little devices called the Ambi Climate Mini and the Ambi Climate 2. These devices act as central climate control systems that monitor and track humidity, air temperature, sunlight and even weather changes. They’re incredibly simple to install! They connect your split AC systems through Wi-Fi, giving you complete access and control through their Ambi Climate app. Perhaps the most exceptional feature of Ambi Climate is its Comfort AI Assistant. This artificial intelligence (AI) calculates algorithms to ensure the temperature in your home is always just right. It even tracks your location and automatically kicks the AC into action when you’re approaching, or turns it off when you leave. You can control all these features with complete clarity through the Ambi application.
Here, you can examine the key features provided through the Ambi Climate application:
- Schedule a routine: Through the Ambi app, you can customise your AC system to fit perfectly with your schedule and routine. You can automate each split system to turn on and off at specific times.
- Multi-user geolocation: Through the application, the Ambi device can track your geographical location. This means it knows when you’re on your way home and can fire up the AC or heat pump, so you always return to a comfortable house.
- Comfort AI Assistance: With the advanced AI implemented in the Ambi devices, you don’t have to browse weather forecasts to plan the temperature in your home. The AI tracks changes in humidity, sunlight and temperature to make sure your home climate is always perfect.
- Simple connectivity: For an advanced and complex device, the Ambi Climate Mini and the Ambi Climate 2 are incredibly easy to install. They connect to your AC systems through your Wi-Fi network and connect to your smartphone through the application.
- Extensive compatibility: Ambi Climate has an impressive range of brands that it’s compatible with. It supports over 50 major air conditioning brands, so your split AC system is likely compatible.
- Versatile AC control: If you have multiple split systems in your home, you might understand how annoying it is to set the temperature of each system individually. With the Ambi application, you can control each AC unit from your smartphone rather than scavenging six different remotes.
We have had both Sensibo & Ambi Climate 2 in the Smarter Air & Electrical office and our team has found that Ambi Climate 2 is far superior at finding the whole team’s happy temperature!
Below, you can find the links to the Ambi Climate application for Android and Apple users:
5 other apps worth a peek
While MyAir and Ambi Climate are our recommendations, there are still plenty of other applications to suit your needs! Below, you can explore five applications that are worth a peek: Milieu Climate The Milieu Climate Smart Thermostat is a sleek device that monitors your home’s climate and provides precise climate control. Its most impressive feature might be the vast number of measurements that it tracks. Some measurements don’t exactly relate to your home’s climate, but they’re cool features nonetheless! The Milieu Climate Smart Thermostat tracks humidity, temperature, air quality, sound, pressure and lights to ensure you remain comfortable in your home. Through the smartphone app, you can control your AC unit remotely and monitor all the measurements the Smart Thermostat tracks. Milieu is the new kid on the block when it comes to Australian designed smart ducted air conditioning controls & while we haven’t had a chance to hands on with this product yet we sure can’t wait to give it a whirl! Below, you can find a link to the Milieu Android app:
Comfort cloud is Panasonic‘s solution for controlling your AC unit from your smartphone. You can use it at home or in the office. It has many app features for monitoring your energy usage, electricity expenditure and even user control permissions. Similar to other remote apps, you can alter temperature and monitor the climate from your smartphone, regardless of your proximity to the AC system. An impressive feature that makes Comfort Cloud a likely choice for businesses is its ability to monitor and control up to 200 units on a single device. Below, you can find Panasonic Comfort Cloud app links for both Apple and Android:
This is definitely a niche application, as it’s only compatible with Mitsubishi AC units. However, it has some handy features that allow you to set operating rules for your AC. You can calibrate your AC to turn off after it reaches a maximum temperature, then kick in once it reaches a minimum temperature. Unlike many other climate control apps, this one doesn’t require a device, as the sensors are inbuilt into the Mitsubishi AC unit. Below, you can find Mitsubishi app links for both Apple and Android:
iZone is a very similar product to MyPlace. It provides modular capabilities to transform your house into a smart home. One module you can choose is the iZone Smart Air Conditioning System. This is a ducted AC system you can monitor, customise and calibrate through a central control panel. Similar to MyPlace, you can connect to a lot more than just your AC unit. You can control your irrigation, lighting, power points and entertainment systems. You can gain full access to all the settings and features, no matter where you are, through the iZone application. Below, you can find iZone app links for both Apple and Android:
Uhoo is a bit of a unique product compared to the other AC remote control apps we’ve mentioned. Uhoo isn’t exactly a remote control on your smartphone. It’s more of an analytical hub on your smartphone where you can track the air quality in your home. Uhoo is a device you install in your home with incredibly advanced and versatile sensors that track an abundance of air quality factors, from carbon dioxide (CO2) to volatile organic compounds (VOCs). You can monitor all these factors from your smartphone through simple, yet in-depth visualisations. You can’t control your AC unit with the app, but it’s still worth mentioning! We have a uHoo installed at the Smarter Air & Electrical office, these things are awesome! Our uHoo activates an outside air fan & damper which pumps fresh air into the office when the CO2 levels get too high which helps to reduce fatigue and headaches! Below, you can find Uhoo app links for both Apple and Android:
Experience the future with Smarter Air & Electrical
If you’re after comfort, practicality and automation for your air conditioner system, look no further than Smarter Air & Electrical. We specialise in turning regular homes into smart homes. Whether it’s your garage, water fountain or AC system, we can install the products that transform your home into a technological wonderland! Experience smarter living and contact us to get a free quote!