When you’re suffering through a heatwave, don’t just sit in front of your old energy-hungry and noisy air conditioning unit waiting many hours for the room to cool down. These days, energy saving inverter ducted air conditioning units can keep a few rooms or many rooms at your happy temperature in both summer and winter both quietly & efficiently. Understanding how ducted aircon works and also how to use your ducted system effectively can be of great benefit to your comfort level at home and also your quarterly electricity bills!
How DOES Ducted Air Conditioning Work?
How Does Ducted Air Conditioning Work, is a good question. Ducted air conditioners create cool airflow through your home from a compressor condensing unit that sits outside of your house, attached to an inside fan coil unit, found inside the roof cavity of your home.
Ductwork runs through the home and delivers the cool air via discreet round outlets in the ceiling of each zone. Nowadays, ducted air conditioners are also commonly called ducted reverse-cycle air conditioning units, this is because they also warm your home during the cooler winter months.
How Ducted Aircon Works For Whole House Cooling/Heating
Now I know what you are thinking! How Does Ducted Air Conditioning Work? How can a single large ducted air conditioner cool my entire home efficiently? The answer is simple. You can opt for a smart zone inverter ducted air conditioning system that allows you to control the amount of cooling in each zone of the house. This means that you can constantly keep the areas you’re utilizing cool, while keeping the ducted air conditioning system off in other zones of the house.
Another advantage of the ducted air conditioning system is that they’re virtually silent. As the compressor is located outside and the fan unit is hidden away in your ceiling space, usually over a living area, you won’t hear it at night. And you certainly don’t have to worry about the overwhelming sound of old-style package aircon units or ‘window rattlers’ as some Brisbane residents call them.
The Comprehensive Guide to Ducted Air Conditioning Installation
Ducted air conditioning is a popular choice for heating and cooling homes, especially in areas like Brisbane where the climate demands a reliable temperature control solution throughout the year. But what does the installation process involve? Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Site Assessment of the Home: Before installation, professional contractors assess the property to determine the best system for your needs. This includes:
- Measuring each room to determine the total area to be heated or cooled & discuss how you plan to use the system eg what is your ideal temperature, how many rooms or “zones” will you run at the same time?
- Inspecting your electrical switchboard to ensure you have a sufficiently size mains cable, if not a mains cable upgrade may be required.
The largest single phase ducted air conditioning units available are from Panasonic & Mitsubishi Electric who offer an 18kW single-phase unit, if you need a larger unit than this you will require a three-phase upgrade.
- Evaluating the space in your roof cavity to determine which brands of air conditioner will fit with your roof truss design. All brands of units are different shapes and sizes so as an example a 16kW Toshiba may not fit but a 16kW Mitsubishi Electric might fit perfectly.
- Determine a suitable location for the outdoor unit where the noise will not affect your family or your neighbours eg it’s best to avoid placing your outdoor unit too close to a bedroom!
- Check the ceiling material – Plasterboard or Gyprock ceilings can easily and safely be cut to accommodate the new air con grilles easily however asbestos and fiber cement sheeting can require specialised equipment and licensed specialists.
- Work the best location for your return air grille, we suggest keeping these in hallways out of sight as much as possible but away from bedrooms to reduce the chance of hearing the air being pulled through the filters.
By understanding the process and working with experienced professionals, you can enjoy the benefits of a ducted air conditioning system tailored to your home’s unique needs.
Smart Zone Control
Why not get back from work and be welcomed home with a evenly cooled and dehumidified house!
When it comes to zoning your ducted air conditioning system there are many options. However, the leader in Brisbane is the locally designed and supported MyAir system by Advantage Air which offers a few unique advantages such as:
- The ability to set different temperatures in each area
- Smart device control with free Apple and Android apps
- An 8-Inch touch screen that doubles as a smart home tablet that is permanently powered!
- Receive notifications when the temperature in your suburb reaches a predetermined temperature. It can even turn your air conditioner ON for you.
- Google Home & Amazon Alexa integration
- Set one thermostat or all thermostats as the main sensor, you choose between the ultimate in energy efficiency or comfort.
- Helpful local Brisbane support from MyTeam by Advantage Air.
Invest with the Ducted Aircon Experts
With the average ducted air conditioning system costing around AUD $13,500 fully installed, it’s a not a decision to be taken lightly but it will almost certainly add value to your home. While keeping comfortable is important, when investing in such a large home appliance it’s important to do your research first!
If you want to know more about How Does Ducted Air Conditioning Work or you wish to get more information on our Brisbane ducted air-con installation service, please contact us via our website or phone us today at 1300 476 421.
Smarter Air ARE YOUR LOCAL air conditioning SPECIALISTS
Looking for a reliable local air conditioning installer or repairer for your Brisbane or Gold Coast home?
Smarter Air & Electrical is a small business run by two friends who are passionate about making people more comfortable. We have over 22 years of expertise in installing air conditioning in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
Greater Brisbane, Ipswich, and the Gold Coast are among our service areas. We’re Brisbane’s leading provider of cutting-edge, high-quality ducted air conditioning systems.
GET AN OBLIGATION FREE QUOTE